Thursday 27 June 2013

LIP SERVICE: Lip colours and balms review


Let's check out some of this summer's newest lip colours and treatments, designed to help keep skin moisturised while adding a dash of sparkle to make lips look lush!

Beauty UK Lip Lust Lip Gloss, £2.99 


Beauty UK Lipstick, £3.49

This collection of 11 different shades of gloss boast rich pigments and are lightly scented. Flavoured with a variety of sweet tastes such as papaya, mint and strawberry, these are indeed a treat for the lips and glide on easily thanks to the soft applicator.

My favourite shades personally were Moulin Rouge, Office Chic and Envy, while Diamond (the clear gloss) has become a handbag staple, either used on its own to add a shine to my lips or sometimes I apply it over lipstick to achieve a "wet look."
Clockwise from top; Date Night, Diamond, Playboy and St Tropez lip glosses
The lipstick collection is very generous indeed, with no less than 17 shades to choose from. I tried a few of them and I would say my favourites were; Brown Sugar, Plumalicious, Naughty and Vampire.


Clockwise; Moulin Rouge & Sweet Sixteen lip glosses, Brown Sugar & Naughty Lipstick
I found the colours to be highly pigmented, they were moist on and lasted for ages. The only downside for me is that the lighter shades just did not suit due to the intensity of the colouring.


Clockwise; Pink My Ride, Snob, Son of a Peach & Plumalicious Lipstick
Vampire Lipstick
Obviously there are going to be some shades that don't suit me, but it's personal preference depending on skin tone etc, so while some of these shades may not look right on me, that's not to say they may look the same on someone who was fair skinned and blonde for example and vice versa.

The Beauty UK collection is available at Superdrug, Select and Internacionale. Judging by the choice of store and price range, it would appear that this range is marketed at a younger audience.  Sometimes this can mean a "cheap" ulterior product, but this is not the case with Beauty UK. While the price may be "cheap" the quality isn't.  An added bonus also is that all these lip colours are vegan friendly.

This range is great for a starter kit for teens and young ladies, or someone of any age who just fancies trying out a new look.

Lush Lip Balms, £5.50


Lip Service
The original and the best, Lip Service has been sold at Lush since the company started up 19 years ago.

It's packed with lots of lovely natural moisturising ingredients  such as beeswax, cocoa butter, shea butter, organic extra virgin olive oil and apricot kernal oil, promising to lock in moisture and protect lips from the elements come rain, cold, wind or shine.


It also contains African marigold herb to boot, which is reputed to have anti-viral properties and a delicate flavour of tangerine oil.

I suffer with very dry and cracked lips.  I can start the day with them relatively ok but by the end they have dried up so much that there's usually a patchy noticeable area on my bottom lip that is totally devoid of moisture.  When I used Lip Service, this was the first ever product I have come across that actually prevented this from happening! I'm overjoyed, honestly.

The best results come when you apply this at night before bed, let the balm do it's magic, then when you wake up the next morning, your lips will feel super soft. 

It's a bit pricey for such a small tin, but in my case, it's worth it I would say.  You'll also probably find that you use the balm sparingly anyway, so it should last you a while.

I also tried Honey Trap Lip Balm, which has added oatmilk for it's soothing
properties and honey for sore, raw lips.  This also tastes of honey and white chocolate, and I mean REALLY tastes of it.  

Then there's this Jaffa Cake inspired beauty - Whipstick.  The chocolate and orange flavouring is sublime, and no wonder with actual top quality dark Belgian chocolate thrown into the mix.


I would thoroughly recommend the Lush Lip Balms and there are other flavours available to try that I'm sure are just as nice. Like I said, it's a bit pricey but you definitely get what you paid for and this little tin will last a long time.





Origins Drink Up Hydrating Lip Balm, £16

Coming to a department store near you in July, these super-sheer balms come in three colours all containing apricot kernel oil, jojoba oil, barley and wheatgerm, orange peel wax and aloe vera.

I tried this in Guava (the pink one) and although initially unsure whether it would suit due to the very pale shade, it wasn't a problem due to sheer quality of the balm.

On application, the balm felt as though it should be very sticky (if that makes sense) but it wasn't. It moisturised very well and lasted a long time. I would definitely invest in one of these when they hit the shelves.



Tom Ford Lipstick in "Casablanca" £36

"To Tom Ford, there is no more dramatic accessory than a perfect lip. It is the focus of the face and it has the power to define a woman’s whole look. Each Lip Color is Tom Ford’s modern ideal of an essential makeup shade. Rare and exotic ingredients including soja seed extract, Brazilian murumuru butter and chamomilla flower oil create an ultra-creamy texture with an incredibly smooth application. Specially treated color pigments are blended to deliver pure color with just the right balance of luminosity." 

Yes, this is an expensive purchase, but let me assure you, it's so worth it.

This lipstick oozes luxury and feels creamy on your lips. It also comes in a sexy black enamel case with gold trim, very sophisticated. 


Me wearing Tom Ford's Casablanca
I love the shade Casablanca. This highly pigmented dark pink really suits my complexion and the lipstick is easy to apply and stays on for ages.

I loved the shade so much I actually purchased this specially for my own wedding after being recommended it during my makeup trial. I wanted something that would look good and stay put, especially when I didn't have access to my own handbag and makeup for a while!

What other lip treatments and colours do you like? What else is good to try for dry and chapped lips? I'd love to hear from you, so please leave me a comment below!






No comments:

Post a Comment