Friday 7 June 2013

TALKING SHOP: LUSH


If you thought Lush was just about fancy cake-shaped soaps covered in glitter and scented bath bombs, then think again.

I admit this was the impression Lush also gave me, that was until I was kindly invited to the branch on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow to make my own Catastrophe Cosmetic Fresh Face Mask from scratch and while there, I was introduced to all the wonderful products Lush have to offer...

Lush's Sauchiehall Street branch in Glasgow City Centre
After being greeted by the signature aroma of the store, we met trainee manager Fiona Gordon and her
Sauchiehall Street Trainee Manager Fiona Gordon
friendly team.

my friend and I were led over to a table with a giant mixing bowl (the type you do baking with) a bowl of fresh REAL blueberries, and an array of other exciting ingredients.
 
Real actual blueberries
“Making a facemask is similar to baking,” said Fiona.
“Different people have their own methods with making the products.


“Lets start by bashing some blueberries, who's got some rage?”

After mushing up the blueberries, we added calamine powder (which is used widely in treatments for chickenpox) 

followed by some fine talc powder, glycerin and almond oil, which we whipped up until it all became a fine chalky mixture. 


“Even though it's chalky, it not drying on the skin,” Fiona explained.
“It's suitable for all skin types, and great for break outs.
“It automatically takes off the top layer of dead skin, so makes the face look brighter and blueberries are natural antioxidants and they help repair the skin.
“If you leave it in the fridge overnight it will turn a bit darker and will be nice and cooling on your skin.”

After our fabulous fresh face masks were boxed up for us to take home, we were given the grand tour of the shop, and I found out there was a lot more to Lush than first meets the eye.

Everything is handmade,” said Fiona.
“We don't sell anything in the shop if it was made over four months ago.
"Our fresh face masks are handmade.
"Everything is vegetarian or vegan, we try to use a lot of fruit or veg rather than chemicals.
"It's more environmentally friendly and kinder to your skin."

Because of all the wonderful colours and smells emanating from the shop, having sensitive and irritated skin, I had always thought Lush products may not agree with me, how wrong I was.

“A lot of people may think they can't use the products due to sensitive skin but a lot of our products are tailored towards eczema and psoriasis and rosacea,” explained Fiona.

“People find it hard to tell me what they like about their skin, it's easier to say what's wrong with it.
I believe everyone has normal skin, because it's normal to them.”

After perusing the shelves for the best part of an hour with Fiona, I left the store with a fresh perspective on the Lush brand, and a bag of goodies I purchased to try at home with my new face mask...

My reviews of the products I tried are below. Why don't you pop into your local branch for a look around today or visit Lush online at www.lush.co.uk

"You know those times when you get one or two spots and it throws you into panic? Well, this mask is here to lend you a bit of perspective, to tell you to calm down, it’s not the end of the world and it’s nothing that can't be sorted. Basically, this is your best mate in a pot."

A smooth and thick paste with some mushy bits here and there due to the blueberry skins. You store it in the fridge and it lasts for about three weeks.

An occasional mask to use for a loving detox, I only had it on for 5 mins and could already feel my face firming up, but without it being drying and tight.  When I washed it off (which took ages!) my skin did feel noticeably smoother and refreshed.


"Ever wished you had an extra hand? 
Let’s give a big hand for this great performer
We’ve turned a hand cream into a solid bar, to help dry, cracked, overworked hands. 
We start this product by making a decoction of water, sago and safflower petals to repair and calm the skin. Then to this we add an array of moisturising ingredients; cocoa butter, fairtrade shea butter, argan oil and aloe vera extract."

With my ongoing dry hands problem, I was a bit dubious about this product, as all manner of creams don't seem to work that well.

You literally manhandle Tiny Hands as you would a stress ball and it melts with the warmth of your skin. Once melted the liquid butter was a great treat and while it won't replace my prescription creams, it's a great little pick me up. 

I'd be a bit careful about what you use your hands for afterwards though. It's quite emollient so made my keyboard very greasy looking at work.


"Strip away the dirt and let your true hair shine out.
Gives a mild but thorough cleanse to take away grease, dirt and build up from hair products".

A soap-like bar that's a shampoo is an unusual concept for me, but I'm always willing to give anything a try once. 

This works by rubbing the bar between your hands with water to get a lather, then working into wet hair, before rinsing away.

This left my hair feeling very clean afterwards and not weighed down as some other products can leave it feeling. It had a lovely fresh fragrant smell to it as well. My hair is coloured and Fiona recommended the Ultimate Shine Bar as the one that would be less harsh and stripping.

You do need to store this away in a soap dish afterwards though to save it from dissolving.

I then used  R And B Hair Moisturiser (£10.95) once my hair was dry before I used the straightening irons and it really helped to protect my locks from frazzling. 
Makeup:
I used Feeling Younger Highligher (£12.00) on my cheekbones to give me a “youthful glow.” I didn't really notice it in daylight but it showed up nicely when a pal took a photograph of me later that day...



You can also try Motivation LiquidEyeliner (£14.50) a two-tone peacock blue liquid eyeliner with rose petal infusion, jojoba and almond oil. 
  




FACTS ABOUT LUSH:
·         Lush was set up in 1994 by husband and wife team Mark and Mo Constantine, who opened the first store in Poole.

·         Originally named Cosmetic House Limited, Lush adopted its current name a year later.

·         There are now more than 800 stores in 51 countries.

·         Lush produce and sell a variety of handmade products, including soaps, shower gels, shampoos and hair conditioners, bath bombs, bubble bars, hand and body lotions, face masks and “Toothy Tabs” solid toothpaste tablets.

·         Lush use fruit and vegetables, essential oils, synthetic ingredients, honey and beeswax in their products.

·         Their products are made in factories around the world (including Poole, Dorset and Vancouver, Canada) and are made in small batches based on orders from individual stores to ensure the freshness of the product.

·         They do not use animal fats and are also against animal testing, preferring to test human volunteers.

·         Stores do not sell products older than four months and most products have a total shelf life of approximately 14 months.

·         Lush products are 100% vegetarian, 83% vegan and 60% preservative-free and feature yummy ingredients such as grapefruit juice, vanilla beans, avocado butter, fresh papaya and coconut.

·         They also have a makeup range.

·         They also cater for guys, with a range of toiletries and skincare products.

·         In 2010, Mark and Mo were awarded the OBE in the New Year's Honours list for services to the beauty industry.

What do you think about Lush? What are your favourite Lush products to try? Where else do you like to shop?


No comments:

Post a Comment